HomeMixed Media ArtCrafts ProjectsTips, Tricks, TutorialsScrapbooking & Project LifeCooking, Baking, RecipesHome & DIY

 

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Quick Peach Upside-Down Cake (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free)

I don’t tend to use commercial bake mixes much. But there are some crazy busy days, when I really appreciate the quick and easy factor and that’s when the occasional bake mix gets used around here.

For this recipe I use a cake mix  that only contains the flours, sugar and the baking soda and everything else can be added, which was perfect, as it allows me to doctor it to my liking!

Since I had a lot of peaches and some not-perfectly-ripe ones made it into the pile, I thought they would lend themselves perfectly to this quick and delicious dessert!

You can, of course, use other fruit too to make this cake. I have used this recipe with other fruits successfully, especially pineapple upside down cake (minus the almond extract) and it never disappoints!

 

 

Ingredients:

4-5 fresh medium sized, organic peaches (Not quite at the peak of their ripeness is ideal for this!)

1/2 cup of grass-fed ghee, divided (I make my own)

1/2 cup dark brown sugar (or raw cane sugar)

1/4 cup organic palm shortening or Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

1 cup almond creamer (recipe here)

2 large,  organic eggs

1 tsp  Butter Vanilla Bakery Emulsion

1 tsp Buttery Sweet Dough Bakery Emulsion

1/2 tsp Almond Bakery Emulsion

1 pack of Hodgson Mill Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix

 

Preparation:

Preheat the oven to 350 F.

Melt 1/4 cup of ghee in a pie plate.  Use some of the melted ghee to grease the sides of the pie plate.

Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the melted ghee on the bottom of the pie plate.

Slice the peaches over the ghee/sugar layer. About 12 slices per peach or so. Since our peaches were organic, I didn’t even peel them. You can arrange the peaches in a pretty pattern. As you can see, I didn’t bother and just added them randomly by slicing out a segment from the whole peach, then just slicing around the stone, dropping the slices into the pie plate as I go.

Set aside.

In a bowl, mix the remaining ghee, the palm shortening, the eggs, emulsions/extracts and almond creamer with the cake mix. Incorporate well with a whisk.

Pour the cake batter over the peaches and place pie plate on a cookie sheet (to catch any bubbles and drips.)

Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the cake rest in the pie plate for about 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edges to loosen them. Next,  invert the cake onto a large plate or serving platter!

Enjoy!

 

It turned out delicious and moist. The peaches were definitely the star, with an intensely fruity fresh flavor, beautifully supported by the crunchy, slightly caramelized edges and the soft, moist cake center! Definitely a favorite around here!

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I very much appreciate that you are taking the time to leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
If you ask a question in the comment section, please remember to check back as I will answer it in the comments section! Or you can email me if you prefer!
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Birgit Kerr