HomeMixed Media ArtCrafts ProjectsTips, Tricks, TutorialsScrapbooking & Project LifeCooking, Baking, RecipesHome & DIY

 

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Lemon Buttermilk Ice Cream (LC, SF, GF)

This was one of the first low-carb ice creams I made when we got our new ice cream maker a couple of months ago. With my first recipe I got the taste down (a lot like I remember the Haagen Dasz Five Lemon tasting) but I was having texture issues after a few days in the freezer.
This is the revised version. It no longer has texture problems and it is scoopable right from the freezer for days and weeks later - if it lasts that long!



Ingredients:

2 cups of heavy cream
1 cup of buttermilk
1 envelope of cool aid unsweetened lemonade powder 
4 purevia packages (more or less to taste)
3 tbsp Sugar-Free Vanilla Syrup (lemon works too!)
1 tsp fresh lemon zest (optional  if you don't like "bits" in your ice cream) 
2 tsp liquid lecithin
3 tbsp. Glycerine
1/2 tsp of glucomanan powder

In a heat proof mug or cup, stir together the glucomanan powder and sugar-free syrup. Stir until it's mixed in thoroughly. It helps to add just a tiny dusting at the time and stir vigorously every time you add!
Microwave for 10 seconds on high, take out, stir thoroughly (it will have thickened a bit) then nuke for another 10 seconds or so, stirring it up again.

Now add all the other ingredients to a bowl and stir together, adding the glucomanan  gel last, whisking it in thoroughly to make sure there are no lumps. Taste test to adjust your sweeteners. You could also just put it all in a blender and blend until smooth.

Process in your ice cream maker according to instructions!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A word about containers: When I first started making our own ice cream, I used our regular plastic containers to freeze our ice cream in. I did however soon get tired of that. It just wasn’t working very well! I have since then switched to these laminated paper/card ice cream containers from Amazon and I LOVE them! They keep the ice cream just perfect, exactly like the ones from the store! I write the name of the ice cream on them with a sharpie pen and I find that I can reuse them several times as long as I wash and dry them straight after we finished a batch!


And they allow you to decorate your homemade frozen desserts any way you like - either for yourself or as a gift! And that’s always a good thing!

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I very much appreciate that you are taking the time to leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
If you ask a question in the comment section, please remember to check back as I will answer it in the comments section! Or you can email me if you prefer!
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Birgit Kerr