HomeMixed Media ArtCrafts ProjectsTips, Tricks, TutorialsScrapbooking & Project LifeCooking, Baking, RecipesHome & DIY

 

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas Stocking

PB29601b32[1]

Initially I wanted to make a version of a pillow inspired by this one:

MerriePillowHG10[1] 

but then I thought that it might look really cute in a simpler form on a stocking!

 

For the stocking material I used Painter’s drop cloth! It is so nice to work with!

 

The most labor intensive thing is probably cutting the felt circles, but you can find pre-cut felt circles on ebay and other places. They are often sold as scrapbook embellishments!

PB225950[1]

I used about 50 x 1 inch circles for my little tree and then another 12 for the cuff.

First I drew out the basic shape of my stocking on a folded drop cloth. Also positioning the tree, so I would know what size I was going for. I didn’t worry about the pen lines as all this was going to be on the inside of the stocking anyway!

PB225949[1]

Then I cut it out, leaving about 1/4 –1/2 inch seam allowance around the drawn line.

I stitched the two parts of the stocking together and just went over the edges with a zig-zag stitch. I’m not sure it was really necessary but I wanted to avoid too much fraying!

 

Next I drew my tree outline on a different piece of drop-cloth fabric and cut that out, again leaving some seam allowance, so I could quickly stitch down the edges of the tree.

I forgot to take a picture of that step for some reason, but you can see it on this one. Basically I just folded over the edges a little and ran a very quick stitch along it.

PB225959[1]

And then I just started sewing on the circles. As I went I figured there were several good ways to go!

I think the pictures will show you much better what I’m talking about.

Basically you tack each circle down with 1 or 2 small stitches, preferably in a place where it won’t be seen later. Sometimes it helps to fold them up first in half or quarter circles, sometimes you start with it flat, facing left, right, up or down.

comp[1] {Click image to enlarge}

You want to slightly overlap at the edges, so your stitching won’t be visible once you sew the tree onto the stocking!

PB225959[1]

And very soon, you’ll have this going on:

PB225968[1]

PB225968b[1] 

Next I folded up a length of silver ribbon and attached it to the back of the tree with a few stitches. This will be the tree trunk.

PB255985[1]

Now for the finishing touches. I made the cuff and the loop for the stocking, sewed that onto the stocking. I turned the stocking inside out, then I pressed all the seams with an iron. This is important to do before you sew the felt tree on as it won’t lay flat anymore after that.

Then I positioned the felt tree on the stocking and stitched it on, making sure I was stitching down the triangle fabric backing, rather than the felt circles.

I also used some leftover felt circles to embellish a length of dollar store ribbon.

PB295997[1]  Last I stitched the dotted ribbon onto the cuff!  And it was finished!

And here’s the finished stocking again!

PB29601b32[1]

 

I’ll be linking this project to a variety of link parties over on the side bar! Visit them for great crafting and DIY ideas!

Pin It

30 comments:

  1. I love it! Very...very beautiful!

    Cidinha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is just lovely! I really love how it turned out. Thanks for sharing!

    -Rochelle @ http://homesweethomebodies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stocking is beautiful and so is the inspiration. I love the detailing, wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birgit, this is so pretty! I love the clean feel of the monochrome stocking too...it really emphasizes the beautiful textures.

    Thanks for linking up this project at Theme Party Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty and unique. I'd love for you to link up with Fabric Fun Thurs. this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really pretty :))
    I love the texture & charm that the tree adds to the stocking!

    Nice to meet you,
    Kay Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  7. What can't you make with a drop cloth these days?! I need to get on the drop cloth band wagon!

    It's so adorable! One of my favorite looks for stockings!

    Great tute, also!

    xx,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so want to make one of these. I have bookmarked this page so I do not forget where I found it. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birgit - So pretty! Love the tree. Thanks so much for linking to the party - I greatly appreciate it! I featured these today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a lovely week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE IT! I use the drop cloths to make bags :) Great job! I would love for you to come visit me at Sew Chatty and link up to Made with Love Monday! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this! Come on over and link up to MMM :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful. It looks like a lot of work (especially when cutting out the circles), but so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pretty! I could add a touch of color that would match perfectly with this year's Christmas theme :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ txttussi. Yes, the circles do take quite a bit of time if you don't have a cutter to do it. The sewing on itself was surprisingly quick. I had the tree part finished in about an hour!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gracias por compartir el tutorial de la bota. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your stocking! Very pretty. I especially love the trim at the top! Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! And what a great tutorial...you actually have me believing I could make that tree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's cute! Love the colors. Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. this stocking is gorgeous! thanks for linking up, i featured it today!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is super cute! I'm going to file this idea away to use sometime. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Birgit that's really a work of art - thak you for sharing. I have a linky for stocking that will be up through the season that you might like to add that to: http://ceodraiocht.wordpress.com/grown-up-crafts-hand-made-stockings/

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so fabulous! I love it!

    Visiting from Domestically Speaking.

    Oh, I am also going to share a link to this on my blog's, A Glimpse Inside, FB page!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You have been featured at SSB! Check out your feature at the link below:

    http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2010/12/mad-skills-monday-link-party-37.html

    Be sure to snag my I was Featured button for your blog!
    Ginger
    SSB

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love, love, love this stocking. Please stop by and link up this weekend to my Christmas stocking linky party.

    http://boyohboyohboycrafts.blogspot.com

    And did you know that http://crafterhours.blogspot.com is doing a PB knock off week. You should send them an e-mail about this project. Their doing a round-up or linky party at the end of the week and would LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am so in LOVE with the stocking!! You are aaamazing!! Thanks for linking up to WhipperBerry.

    Kisses
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  26. Huhh..very unique indeeed. I knew this method, but to use it as a christmas tree.. woow, you made a whole new idea of this.

    ReplyDelete

I very much appreciate that you are taking the time to leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
If you ask a question in the comment section, please remember to check back as I will answer it in the comments section! Or you can email me if you prefer!
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Birgit Kerr