HomeMixed Media ArtCrafts ProjectsTips, Tricks, TutorialsScrapbooking & Project LifeCooking, Baking, RecipesHome & DIY

 

Friday, July 15, 2011

Mock Cream of "Wheat" (LC, SF, GF)

I know the ingredients might sound a little strange and not at all like it could taste like Cream of Wheat! You might write me off as another low-carber who’s lost all sense of taste and thinks it tastes like something it’s not!
It’s ok, when somebody first suggested using the miracle noodles to make this, I thought the same thing! But I was surprised to find how close the taste and texture actually was, so I’ve changed my mind!

I have since moved on to the glucomanan powder to make the mock cream of wheat, and I like it even better!
If you miss cream of wheat, or oatmeal, or just want to have a quick (2-3 min beginning to end!) delicious and filling breakfast – try this. You might be surprised!


Ingredients:

1 cup of water mixed with 2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream*
1.5 tbsp. GOLDEN flax seed meal
2 tsp glucomanan powder **
3 drops of stevia extract (optional)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (I like vanilla, but you can use maple, almond, whichever you prefer!)

Preparation:

In a microwave safe dish, mix the water and the cream with the stevia and the vanilla. With a whisk, stir in the flax seed meal. Slowly, and under constant whisking drizzle in the glucomanan powder. At first it won’t seem very thick – it will come!
Cook on high for about 30 seconds, whisk and then give it another 15-20 second in the microwave. Whisk once more and voila – smooth and creamy Cream of “wheat”. If it thickened up on you too much, add more water/cream/milk and whisk through!
Now top with your favorite sugar-free jam, or brown sugar substitute and cream, or a pad of butter and sugar-free syrup!
My current favorite is a good dowsing of Sugar-free Monin Strawberry syrup and an extra splash of heavy whipping cream. So delicious, so filling!

In terms of carb count – glucomanan powder and flax seed meal are all fiber, so zero grams of net carbs. So all you need to count are the carbs in the things you put with it (CC milk, heavy whipping cream, half & half, fruit, syrups, sugar substitutes etc.)

* Or watered down half and half, or more cream, or calorie countdown milk – whatever you prefer! You just need to come to 1 cup of liquid!

**Just for your information, glucomanan powder is a dietary fiber that is derived from the roots of the Konjac plant.

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I very much appreciate that you are taking the time to leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
If you ask a question in the comment section, please remember to check back as I will answer it in the comments section! Or you can email me if you prefer!
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Birgit Kerr