I think I have a new favorite low-carb ice cream! I’ve always been one for swirly ice creams, especially the vanilla and fruit kind. And if there was some kind of yogurt involved, even better.
This particular one however really hits the spot for me, especially in the Phoenix summer heat! The slightly tangy creaminess from the crème fraiche and the yogurt mingles with the fruity swirl just right!
It’s smooth tasting but not overly rich, with just the right amount of tartness to be refreshing!
If you are using the homemade crème fraiche, prepare at least 24-26 hrs in advance, so it has a chance to set up and then chill!
For the swirl:
- 4 large strawberries, hulled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup Monin sugar-free Pomegranate syrup
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp glucomanan powder or xanthan gum
- 1/2 tbsp. glycerine
- 1/2 square of Lindt 85% chocolate, finely chopped (optional but really compliments the fruit taste)
For the yogurt ice cream:
- 1 cup whole yogurt (pour off any visible liquid)
- 1/2 cup low-carb milk (or cream, or half and half - adjust carb count accordingly)
- 1 cup crème fraiche
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unflavored Monin sweetener
- 3 tbsp. glycerine
- 1/4 tsp glucomanan powder or xanthan gum
For the swirl, whisk the glucomanan powder into the sugar free syrup and let it sit for a couple of minutes to thicken a little. In a saucepan, heat the strawberries together with the lemon juice until soft.
Add the syrup mix and heat through until thickened. Push through a sieve or process in a blender until smooth. Place into a bowl and add the chocolate, stirring to melt it all. Once everything is incorporated stir in the glycerine.
Cool in the refrigerator until needed.
For the ice cream, add everything but the glucomanan powder into a bowl and beat vigorously until very smooth! Under constant beating, drizzle in the glucomanan powder slowly and beat until well incorporated! Do this a tiny bit at the time to avoid lumps!
Process in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Once the ice cream is processed to soft serve stage, transfer about 1/3 of it into your ice cream container, add about 1/3 of the strawberry mix and then with a fork or skewer, swirl the two together. Don’t over mix! Add more of the ice cream and more of the strawberry mix and marble it again. Continue to do this until it’s all used up. Freeze to harden.
Makes 1 quart and 1 “tester” portion! So nine 1/2 cup portions.
As it stands, a portion of this is 1.4 g of net carbs.
- If you are using a syrup other than the Monin you may have to increase the amount of glucomanan in both recipes. Monin syrups are quite a bit thicker than other sugar-free syrups.