HomeMixed Media ArtCrafts ProjectsTips, Tricks, TutorialsScrapbooking & Project LifeCooking, Baking, RecipesHome & DIY

 

Friday, May 17, 2013

Homemade Bread - 100% Sprouted Spelt Sandwich Loaf

 

This loaf was another experiment with sprouted spelt. The loaf is made with 100% sprouted spelt, but in 3 different forms. I used freshly sprouted organic spelt berries (whole), organic whole sprouted spelt flour and organic sifted, sprouted spelt flour.

This is also the first time I used liquid Levian (which is a form of quite runny sourdough) as a flavor, rather than a method of leavening the bread. No overnight rising for this bread either, the added granulated yeast did all the rising. It was done in a total of 4 hours!

Incidentally, this bread dough came together surprisingly easy and hardly needed any kneading. I gave it a couple of rounds of folding, but that’s about it.

I have to say that the flavor of this bread is amazing! Most fresh bread is pretty good, but the aroma that was filling the house when this was baking was very different and very enticing!

The flavor of the bread is a little on the sweet side, the crumb is moist and a little dense (in a good way.) Next time I want to get a much lighter crust, as this one got a little too dark and I might increase the proofing time to even longer than the two hours it got today. The burst crust on top would indicate, that it wasn’t quite done with the final proofing. 

And I think I might use a loaf pan next time around, rather than this small, but long free-form loaf, so it will be more of a sandwich slice shape!

Other than that however, I think this could be a very good, fully sprouted sandwich bread and a regular go-to for us!

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I very much appreciate that you are taking the time to leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
If you ask a question in the comment section, please remember to check back as I will answer it in the comments section! Or you can email me if you prefer!
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Birgit Kerr