HomeMixed Media ArtCrafts ProjectsTips, Tricks, TutorialsScrapbooking & Project LifeCooking, Baking, RecipesHome & DIY

 

Friday, October 7, 2011

Pumpkin Ice Cream With Candied Pumpkin Seeds (LC, GF, SF)

 

 

Ingredients:

For the ice cream:

for the candied seeds:

  • 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (or chopped pecan pieces, or finely chopped hazelnuts)
  • 2 tbsp. xylitol  or erythritol 
  • 1/2 tsp honey
  • 1 tsp of Monin sugar-free syrup

Preparation:

Scald your milk, meaning the milk is starting to slightly bubble close to the sides of the pot, but is not boiling.


Whisk two eggs until light and fluffy, about two minutes.  Gradually add the hot milk to the eggs under constant whisking. Do this slowly so the eggs don’t scramble! Add the stevia, blackstrap molasses, extract or emulsion and mix. Then add the heavy cream, pumpkin puree, glycerine and spice mix.
Mix until well blended.  Transfer to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

Spray a piece of tin foil with a non-stick spray.

Heat xylitol with honey and syrup in a non-stick pan until bubbly. Add the pumpkin seeds and stir to coat everything. Continue to stir the bubbling mixture until the pumpkin seeds start to smell toasty and puff up and the caramelized mix is turning an amber color.

Quickly pour it on the prepared piece of tin foil, spread it apart and let it cool.

 

 

Once cool, break it up  bit. If you have very large seeds, you may want to chop them a little before stirring them  into the ice cream once it has reached soft serve stage.  Freeze the ice cream in ice cream containers for an additional 4 hours before serving!

 

Makes 1 Quart. The whole recipe is 49 g of carbs minus 7 g of fiber, so 42 g of net carbs. That makes it 5.25 g of net carbs per serving.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your blog. You have such interesting recipes! I would like to make the pumpkin ice cream but I would like to substitute a different AS. What is the sugar equivalent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Deb, I don't really know! I tend to develop my recipes by tasting and then noting down how much it needs. My best guess is that it would equal half a cup of sugar. I hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your beautiful blog and for taking the time to photograph and post your wonderful recipes. I'm experimenting with using pumpkin seeds now that I have to go off of all other nuts, seeds, and beans. Have you tried the "pumpkin seed powder" that's partially defatted? Wondering if I should spend the $$ on it, or if grinding my own seeds would do just as well. Gonna try your candied pumpkin seeds today...

    ReplyDelete

I very much appreciate that you are taking the time to leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
If you ask a question in the comment section, please remember to check back as I will answer it in the comments section! Or you can email me if you prefer!
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Birgit Kerr