HomeMixed Media ArtCrafts ProjectsTips, Tricks, TutorialsScrapbooking & Project LifeCooking, Baking, RecipesHome & DIY

 

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Work In Progress

That seems to be the theme for me the last couple of weeks. Work.In.Progress.
I don’t have much finished, most of my art is currently in the “work in progress” stage.
We’ve had a lot of visitors lately and there is more to come!
So, normal life has been not at all “normal” and has sort of been happening between bouts of visiting and other distractions.
As a result, I haven’t really been able to do all that much art and the little I do get done, seems to just add to the work-in-progress pile.
 
This is not an easy state for me to be in - the perpetual WIP, without something finished and filed away - is not something I revel in!
However, these days, when I find an area where I am supremely uncomfortable, instead of “making it go away”, fighting against it, resisting it or pulling some superhuman efforts out of my hat, usually at a great price to myself, or, decide not to do something just so I don’t add to the pile -  I try and lean into it and embrace the discomfort.
I say “try” because some days I’m more successful than others with this!
 
But, I am learning so much about myself! So much to clear, so much to let go and so much to open up to!
Having a perpetual work-in-progress pile in my art, is just one of those discomforts in my life right now. There are many more. How did I get so lucky?
 
But, I am learning to really appreciate the discomfort! It’s that message that tells me something is up!
  • It tells me that there is an opportunity to let go of an outdated way of thinking/feeling/acting.
  • It tells me, that I am learning to recognize and leaning into my vulnerabilities, something I would have avoided at all cost not too long ago!
  • It tells me that in this moment, on this day, in this situation, however minute, I am practicing courage and I am opening myself up to not only vulnerability, but also change!
  • It tells me I am one step closer to being authentically me, and one step further away from needing to be “perfect.”
  • It tells me, that at the other end of it, there is so much more opportunity for ease, joy, gratitude and expansion!
  • It tells me, that I am  also a constant work in progress and that that is a good thing! Sometimes it’s also a difficult thing, but it’s never not a good thing!
 
And with that, I will show you one of those work-in-progress pieces from my pile.
 
I decided to go big on a face, to really practice features. But not only that, I also learned a new (to me) method of painting with gesso, watercolor crayons and black ink  while I was at it! It’s nowhere near finished, but it is starting to take shape!
 
 
 
 
 
“Vulnerability is the birthplace of love, belonging, joy, courage, empathy, and creativity. It is the source of hope, empathy, accountability, and authenticity. If we want greater clarity in our purpose or deeper and more meaningful spiritual lives, vulnerability is the path.”
― Brené Brown

Pin It

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I very much appreciate that you are taking the time to leave a comment! Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
If you ask a question in the comment section, please remember to check back as I will answer it in the comments section! Or you can email me if you prefer!
Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Birgit Kerr